Run quietly

Run quietly

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Grand River Engagement & Re-Fridgee-Eighter 8km/8mile

Do you remember when you were a child and trying to keep a secret was nearly impossible? "Secrets" explode out of my kids mouths at the first chance they get. It's almost as if the awareness of the excitement that revealing the news will cause is infectious. And they know it. Typical "children's innocence" ideology, they simply cannot be trusted with a secret! That's how I felt when GRE teammate Josh told me he was going to propose to Tanis after the Run Waterloo Re-Fridgee-Eighter 8km/8mile race. Obviously I needed to tell someone, so I told my husband. ;) And when Tanis expressed her dismay about not receiving a ring on their four year anniversary, I had to laugh to myself. And be thankful the conversation was through a text, as my face usually reveals all! I assured her the best time would be when she is least expecting it. Mwahahaha!

Initially I was hesitant to travel to Waterloo from Ajax for a race; especially one that was not a peak race. But as soon as I knew this, I simply could not miss it!

I did not change my training at all, and just swapped a workout for the race. Let's be honest here, my intention for the day had nothing to do with running a personal best, or even going all out. The kids had their first sleep over at Nonna's the night before, so my husband and I went to Moxie's after we dropped them off. At about 3km into the race I definitely regretted the glass of red wine and fries that I had snacked on the night before! It was an added weight causing me to feel heavy. Lesson learned, peak race or not, I won't be doing that again!

I chose the 8km because Josh and Tanis are both much faster than me. If I ran the 8 mile, I would have missed the proposal! The whole reason for going! After I crossed the finish line, Mike and I conspired to lure Tanis back over to the finish area so Josh could propose with a good photo back drop. The usual post race endorphins were replaced with anticipation as we all anxiously awaited Tanis to come around the corner.
 

It all happened so quickly! She crossed the line as first place female in the 8 miler, all the while oblivious to how her life was about to change. TOO much excitement! Mike grabbed her, led her back over to the finish area, and Josh got down on one knee. I made sure I recorded a video of the whole thing. Something I am happy to know they will have forever! My only regret is that the sound on it is basically all me laughing and cheering. The intimate words of the proposal is something they will have in memory only.

 
I LOVE THESE TWO!
 
I am so happy I got to be there for such an amazing moment! These two push each other, support each other, and have big goals. Positivity, respect, mutual and individual ambitions, and always striving for better is a solid foundation these two will have to build upon. I wish them a lifetime of happiness!
 
It was a GRE reunion of sorts, as we had not all been together since the summer. I'm very grateful to be surrounded with such amazing people! 2016 has started off well. I'm pumped for what is in store!
 
My husband was not thrilled as I had already made him take 5 selfies with the glasses on. Haha.
 
Racing in shorts in February. No complaints.
 
 
Next up we will all be at the Chilly Half Marathon on March 6! I'm looking forward to a much cooler half marathon than my last one in Jamaica. Will I see you at the race?!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment